This recipe I am going to introduce is commonly known as the “Claypot Chicken Rice” in Singapore. Well, my mother uses the rice cooker instead of the traditional claypot because it is much easier to do it … electrically. No need to worry about controlling the flame.
I woke up early in the morning to challenge the uncles and aunties in the groceries race. “4 large and fresh chicken drumsticks costs me $5, that’s a pretty good deal,” I thought. I also bought 2 lean pork Chinese sausages for $1.50 and my xiao bai cai cost me $0.80 from nearby fresh market. With a rough estimation, this healthy recipe, packed with protein and fibers, cost me less than $15 in total.
My son love this recipe so much that he finished the whole bowl of rice clean. Now, let me introduce the “Rice Cooker Chicken Rice”.
Serving size: 3 to 4 persons
Preparation time: 40 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
1. 2 cups of rice
2. 4 chicken drumsticks (remove skin and bone, dice the meat into chucks)
3. 5 mushrooms (soak in water until soften and slice)
4. 4 stalks of xiao bai chai (cut the ends, soak them in water)
5. 2 Chinese sausages (soak to remove outer layer of skin and then slice)
6. 2 tablespoons of cooking oil
7. 2 cm of ginger (remove skin and dice into pieces)
8. 2 small cloves of garlic (remove skin and dice into pieces)
Seasonings for chicken:
1. 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
2. 1 tablespoon of sesame oil
3. 4 dashes of white pepper powder
4. ½ teaspoon of corn starch
5. 1 tablespoon of Shaoxing cooking wine
Seasonings for rice:
1. 2 tablespoons of dark soy sauce
2. 1 tablespoon of soy sauce.
1. Clean the chucks of chicken meat and marinate them with the seasonings for chicken in a bowl. Set it aside for 30 minutes in the fridge.
2. Wash the rice clean and add the seasonings for rice. Proceed making steam rice in the rice cooker.
3. Heat up the wok and add the cooking oil, ginger and garlic. Stir fry for 2 minutes.
4. Add the marinated chicken and mushrooms.
5. Stir fry the chicken until half-cooked. Dish them out and set them aside.
6. When the rice is 60% done, add the chicken, Chinese sausages and xiao bai cai into the rice cooker until the rice is fully cooked.
7. Kept the ingredients in the rice cooker warm for at least 15 minutes before serving.